People always told me, “Shanghai is not Chinese enough!” .
“It’s a metropolis,” they said. “It has many skyscrapers and western restaurants,” they said.
Pssh, Shanghai is in China! There are definitely some Chinese aspects. Trust me, I know this, man!
**This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive compensation.
Since 8 is a lucky number in Chinese, here are 8 Local Things to Do in Shanghai.
1. Visit the Yuyuan Garden, a classical garden from the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644 AD) and home to the “Exquisite Jade Rock”.
[ADDRESS]:137 Anren Jie,near Fuyou Lu 豫园, 安仁街137号, 近福佑路
When I first visited the garden in 2014, the city was still working on the Shanghai Tower. Do you see it peeking out behind the old building?
2. Dance with Chinese Grandmas and play games with Grandpas at a park. I recommend these three:
1. Fuxing Park
[ADDRESS]: Chongqing Nan Lu,near Fuxing Zhong Lu, 复兴公园。重庆南路, 近复兴中路 ( My favorite)
2. Century Park:
[ADDRESS]: Century Park Pudong,Huamu Lu, corner of Fangdian Lu 浦东世纪公园 五号门花木路1359号
3. Lu Xun Park:
[ADDRESS]: 2288 Sichuan N Rd.
3. Get Hitched at the Marriage Market in People’s Park!
At People’s Park, Chinese parents advertise their sons and daughters by posting descriptions of them on open umbrellas. They normally circularize there on Saturday and Sunday, but I’ve seen parents working hard the whole week!
[ADDRESS]: 75 Nanjing Xi Lu,near Huangpi Bei Lu 人民公园 南京西路75号 近黄陂北路
4. Make a wish on the wishing tree at the top of Shanghai Tower – the tallest tower in China and the second tallest in the world (for now).
[ADDRESS]: 479 Lujiazui Huan Lu,near Dongtai Lu陆家嘴环路479号, 近东泰路
5. Celebrate Red Lantern Festival at Old City God Temple. Or, you can light some incense and say a prayer.
[ADDRESS]: 249 Fangbang Middle Rd, ChengHuangMiao, Huangpu Qu (near Yu Garden)
If you’re looking for accommodation in Shanghai or any other place in China,the only place I use is booking.com, unless I was recommended a certain place and I can’t find it on the website.
6. Walk through the longtang alleyways while they are still here. * Best Local Thing to Do
They are called hutongs in Beijing. These historic lane houses are being demolished in favor of high-rise apartments.
I recommend : Fuxing West Road, Huaihai Zhong Road, Yunnan Zhong Road
7.Eat fried goat’s cheese and spicy barbecued fish at Lotus Eatery- restaurant specializing in Yunnan Cuisine.
[ADDRESS]: 1112 Dingxi Lu, near Wuyi Lu 定西路1112号, 近武夷路
8. Experience Chinese Propaganda at the Shanghai Propaganda Poster Art Center.
[ADDRESS]: RM. BOC 868 Hua Shan Rd 华山路868号BOC室
What am I missing here? If you been to Shanghai, let me know in the comments below!
P.S. If you want more info on Longtang Houses feel free to email me at email@example.com. I wrote a research paper and gave a presentation on them in college.